Here’s an updated version of the Customer Forces Canvas that I first introduced here:
Two new boxes and some title tweaks for clarity:
- Added a box for the Old Solution
Helps identify what (if anything) customers switched away from.
- Renamed Existing Alternatives to Consideration Set, and Current Solution to New Solution
The timeline is now much clearer to visualize. The top left boxes describe the old state (the solution that was fired). The top right boxes describe the new state (the hired solution).
- Added a box for the Actual Outcome
Makes it easier to contrast customers’ desired outcomes at the outset to what actually happened.
When to use this canvas?
- During Problem Interviews to understand existing alternatives (competition).
- After users signup/upgrade to understand what they were doing before and how/why they hired your product.
- After some usage with your product, to understand friction, you need to reduce/eliminate.
- After user cancelation/downgrade understand why they fired your product and where they are going next.